From the quest diary of St. John Ravensdale-smythe:
Grisleigh End is a hodgepodge of a residence. Some parts of it date back to the eleventh century, others were added on as late as the 1820’s. It has been in its time a part of the border defense system between England and Wales, a haven for a mysterious and secretive religious community, the private love nest of a prince of the blood, and the pied-à-terre of a nineteenth century railroad baron. It is both so obscure that its former location cannot be found on any map drawn later than 1872, and so famous that some of its décor and furnishings have been duplicated in the designs of other stately homes. There is even a well-known deck of cards that owes much of its design sensibility to the views found in and around Grisleigh End.
At the beginning of its life, Grisleigh End was neither the property of the Grisleighs, nor was it an end. It was a fortified tower, built in the mid 14th century by Sir William Pomfrytte on land gifted to him by Gilbert de Bohun 8th Earl of H__________, and later commandeered by Henry IV as part of his defences against the incursions of Owen Glendower into the border territories. Given under the command of Sir Denis Fitzroy, it was renamed Wrydding Tower after the nearby hamlet of Wrydding. It is not known whether its garrison ever saw any action against the welsh raiders. It does appear that it was visited at least once by Henry himself; household accounts indicate that he spent three days at the tower in October of 1410, and possibly again in early 1411. Whatever his business with Sir Denis was, it has remained a mystery to this day [curiously enough, it was rumoured that Owen Glendower himself, after the ambush in Brecon, was seen in the vicinity off and on over the course of the next five years. There are even some who believe that it was here, and not at Vowchurch that Glendower spent his declining years, posing as a Franciscan Friar in the Priory of St. Dismas.